Summer Food Service Program
2015 Grant Program
Contact: Patricia J. Johnson, MS, RD, SNS
Director of Nutrition Services
Dairy Council® of Arizona recognizes the importance of a healthy, nutritious summer feeding program on the health of Arizona children. Summer feeding provides the nutritional bridge between the end of one school year and the beginning of a new school year. Dairy Council® of Arizona is committed to assisting schools increase participation in their summer feeding programs so students return to school in the fall, healthy and reading to learn.
Dairy Council® of Arizona will award ten (10) $2,000 grants to school districts proposing expansion of their Summer Food Service Program with an emphasis on healthy eating and daily exercise that includes promotion of at least three servings of dairy a day. Applicants are required to be enrolled in the FREE Fuel Up To Play 60 program. Preference will be given to those schools with an identified Fuel Up to Play 60 program advisor.
Information about the Fuel Up To Play 60 can be found at www.fueluptoplay60.com
EVALUATION AND SELECTION CRITERIA
- The Dairy Council® of Arizona Summer Food Service Program grants are open to all OPEN SCHOOL sites in the state of Arizona. Grants are also open to past Dairy Council® of Arizona Summer Food Service Program grant winners.
Open Sites (7 CFR 225.2 definitions, Attachment 1)
- Most sponsors establish site eligibility on “need and openness.” If a site is located in a needy area (where 50 percent or more of the children residing in the area are eligible for free or reduced-price school meals) and meals are made available to all children in the area on a first-come, first-serve basis, these sites are considered open. Sponsors of open sites must take the necessary steps to allow meal service access to all children residing in the area served by the site. Information regarding the meal service at open sites must be publicized in the community served.
- Programs must be implemented within the school environment during the 2015 summer. Preference will be given to those who run their programs throughout the entire summer.
- Programs must include at least one (1) element that empowers kids to be advocates for healthy eating, including at least three servings of dairy a day.
- Programs must aim to increase milk, cheese or yogurt consumption (or “intake”) to at least three servings per day through the design and implementation of one or more educational activities (such as Fuel Up To Play 60).
- Programs receiving financial assistance shall not exclude from participation, deny benefits to or discriminate against any person or institution on the basis of race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin or physical handicap in accordance with Federal statutes.
- Applications will be evaluated and selected by Dairy Council® of Arizona and a panel consisting of Arizona Department of Education Staff.
- Grant proposal/applications must be received into the Dairy Council offices by May 15, 2015 at 5pm. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Successful applicants or Grantees will be notified on or around May 21, 2015. Grantees will be required to sign the Dairy Council® of Arizona Summer Food Service Program Grant Program Agreement, which provides that the Grantee will use all grant funds for the purposes specified in the grant award and will comply with all terms and conditions of the grant.